The blog of the Jewell Whanau in Wellington, New Zealand.

Monday, 13 June 2011

Bolting asparagus

A couple of photos from the garden. At the end of autumn I cut the asparagus back to the ground to prepare for the new growth in the spring. We’ve had a bit of rain in past couple of weeks and the things have bolted. (That’s rhubarb on the right).
I don’t think it’s normal but can’t find any information on the web. I’m wondering if it’s to do with the unusual weather patterns around the world – swans nesting in winter and drought in England. We’ve also had roses flowering and I’ve noticed seagulls looking broody.
Here they are again if you look carefully. I was struck by how magnificent the tree fern is becoming.
It is quite slow growing but could end up ten metres tall.
Update from Christchurch
You may have heard they have had another series of aftershocks today. We have heard from our close friends there and they are ok. There has been a lot more damage and they are without water and sewage although most of the city has power. A lot of the inhabitants must be asking “When will it end?”.

Latest information here.

2 comments:

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

So no working up the bank this weekend? You may need to reign them asparagus in then.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Hmmm,just trying to help Andy Comment. No wonder we Bloggers don't get dozens of comments. It's a frustrating unwieldy business. P
S I shall look at the sparrowgrass tomorra.