The blog of the Jewell Whanau in Wellington, New Zealand.

Monday, 18 January 2010

Royal Visit

No, Kathy is not here again. However someone of far less importance, namely Prince William of England, is in our fair country to carry out some official engagements on behalf of his grandmother. She is our head of state but there is a growing republican movement here. I support it but I appear to be the only one in the family who does. Grrrrh!!

William was in Wellington to open the new Supreme Court building. Ironic they had to import a Pom as the Court is only necessary as we have removed the UK Privy Council as the highest level of our judicial system. The assembled crowd was made up of equal parts demonstrators (Republicans and Ministry of Justice staff campaigning for more money), supporters of royalty and general interested bystanders.
I managed a couple of shots of the lad himself, together with Prime Minister John Key being the chief host.

Jenny was in the crowd and got to shake his hand. But she didn’t get time to propose. So we went and had lunch to commiserate with her.


¡Viva la Republic!

No comments: