The blog of the Jewell Whanau in Wellington, New Zealand.

Sunday, 16 March 2014

Visitors

Noreen’s mother, sister and brother-in-law have arrived and are getting down to the serious business of exploring New Zealand.
I took Eileen and Peter to Zealandia. We saw lots of birds, including kaka,
 robins,
takahe (that’s a tracking aerial sticking out of its back),
 and several young tuatara.
We climbed to the top of the observation tower
 and travelled over the upper dam
(observation tower in upper right)
and suspension bridge.
The next day we travelled over the Paekakariki Hill Road. From the lookout at the top there are lovely views over to Kapiti (I’m not sure whether the cracks in the ground are caused by earthquakes or subsidence – a worry in either case)
and up the coast towards Raumati and Paraparaumu.
Noreen has now taken the visitors south. They are travelling through Nelson and via the west coast to Hawea for Sam and Bex’s wedding. I follow on Monday, pick up Jenny in Christchurch and we should all meet up on Tuesday. Pictures when we get back!

No comments: