The blog of the Jewell Whanau in Wellington, New Zealand.

Monday, 20 February 2012

Bedlam’s Birthday

For most of our time in New Zealand we have been associated with Morris dancing. I was a founder member of the Pride of Holland Street in 1977 (a mixed side) and in 1982 was instrumental in setting up the country’s first all male side since the 40s. Britannic Bedlam Morris Gentlemen to give them their full and totally unpretentious name took my birthday as their foundation day and hold an annual Day of Drink (most sides have a Day of Dance) on the nearest Saturday. Since my Achillies tendon troubles I haven’t danced but occasionally get along to the social events. This year being the 30th birthday was one I couldn’t miss. The day started with breakfast in a central city café then the Gentlemen peregrinated the streets, stopping to dance along the way.

 We passed the Bucket Fountain in Cuba Mall
 en route to the first watering hole (Morris dancing is hot, hard and thirsty work I tell you).
 For the record I was drinking Sassy Red and it was jolly good.
 Here are seven Morris Men all over 60, we worked out the combined age was 455 years!

A group photo was taken before they moved on to fresh pastures. I went home to have a lie down and tend to my plants but we caught up in the evening at our local pub.


On Sunday morning we had a slap up breakfast with Jeneane, Janie and Gary from Canterbury and the Firths


before going for a gentle stroll through the gardens where we spied Noreen and her mum amongst the roses.


This is us under the spreading boughs of the Morris Oak (or Moak) tree. As the link explains this is a replacement for one planted in 1982 as a gift from Christchurch Morris to their Wellington confederates.


2 comments:

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Didn't we have fun. I'm still buzzing :-)

peterdevo said...

Ihope that you are ensuring that Kathy is behaving in a way commensurate with Kiwi customs