The blog of the Jewell Whanau in Wellington, New Zealand.

Monday, 30 May 2011

Colonial Knob

This is one of the perennial favourites.
Yesterday was a beautiful late autumn day. We did the walk in the reverse order to normal and general consensus was it was much better. To begin, a shot of the bloggeur reflected in the information board.
The lower parts of the walk go through stands of bush. Here is a young nikau by the boardwalk down by the old reservoirs.

A steep climb leads out onto open farmland. To the north is a good view over Porirua, its harbour and beyond to Plimmerton with Kapiti in the far distance.

The track heads south with a different perspective of the windmills at Makara. If you look carefully you can see snow capped peaks in the Kaikouras (on the South Island) behind.

At the summit we rested for a drink and bite to eat. Andy looks like he is contemplating the downward track (possibly).

I like the vegetation by the track. This is a lovely little fern, possibly a Blechnum (I’m hoping Jeneane will correct me if not).

Then it’s all downhill. The tracks descends along a ridge with the northern suburbs of Wellington visible in the top right.

3 comments:

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Oh heck: serves me right for questioning your botany. Ferns have never been my strong point and all I can say is "Mm, quite possibly a Blechnum."

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

PS I did mean to admire your introductory photo too. Did you give the info board a quick rub
before you knelt?

Dyk Jewell said...

Thanks Jeneane, I thought you were the oracle on all botanical matters.

I didn't rub the board (might have produced a genie?) - it was all shiny and new. It does have a dimpled surface which gives a pixelated effect when viewed in higher resolutions.