The blog of the Jewell Whanau in Wellington, New Zealand.

Sunday, 20 March 2011

The Not-so-secret Garden

Jeneane has lifted the lid on my weekend activities. It’s not so much a secret, just difficult to access for visitors. You need to be a bit of a mountain goat. There is a path leading up from the back garden.
I’ve put some bricks and markers to help keep feet in the right places.
This is looking down the steepest part of the bank. One day I am going to come a cropper and end up in the brambles on the right.
I planted two nikau in June 2006. They are slow growing and six months ago I thought this one was a goner. With some additional care, involving feeding, watering and encouraging some shade from nearby plants it appears to be flourishing now.
Here is the other one. I think some of the shelter plants need to be trimmed back and then it will take off again.
The more established plants get the more self-seeded specimens arrive. I especially like all the ferns that start as minute, just visible to the naked eye, babies and quickly grow into commanding specimens like this one.
This cabbage tree was planted in October 2006. There is a 2007 photo towards the end of this post. It is now over 2 metres tall.
Here is a long shot from the bottom showing part of the extent of my planting. The pohutakawa in the centre (with the lighter coloured new growth) were 15 cm seedlings when I planted them in August 2005. (The shot taken looking down the bank was taken from the clear area at upper-mid left.) I’ve cleared blackberry from the left and during late autumn and winter will be planting various seedlings I have scattered round the place.
Down on the flat the veggie garden is a bit wild and woolly. I have a virtual forest of mizuna at the back. The flowers are calendula which were good in suppressing aphids on the broad beans before Christmas.
We are now well into autumn and it feels good to have a full wood store. Most of the timber came from larger trees cleared from up the bank.

3 comments:

Gillian said...

Your wood shed looks lovely...and the bank is an interesting project; does the land belong to you? Pete's wood shed is more "Heath Robinson", but fit for purpose.

Dyk Jewell said...

Most of the land is road reserve but there is no chance they will build on it. Andy built our shed. I await pictures of Wop's with interest.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Great follow-up. Not seeing your garden very often means that I see big advances when I do visit!