This is the hill previously known as
Tinakori.
We’ve walked it many times and blogged in
2007 and
2009.
This morning everybody else was busy or having a lie-in so I set off alone after breakfast. I went down through the Botanic Garden which has some nice autumn colour.

The day was threatening rain

but it held off and I was able to get some reasonable shots. Here, looking south you can see (from bottom working upwards) the Chinese embassy,
Tree House and Glen Road.

It must be getting near the end of the cruise ship season. Today’s visitor appears to be sitting on the stadium, with Matiu/Somes in the background.

The motorway snakes around the harbour heading out towards Petone and the Hutt Valley.

At one time the
old government building was the largest in Wellington. Now it is dwarfed nestling amongst it’s modern counterparts. It is still the
largest wooden building in the southern hemisphere, and second largest in the world.

When the hill was renamed to Ahu Mairangi the
lookout was extended and rebuilt.

From it there are good views over the city and harbour.

Along the top of the hill the
Ridgeline Track extends on towards Wadestown.

On the slopes at the end of the track is the pillar that featured in
two posts last May.

The inscription notes various landmarks around the harbour. Tangi Te Keo is the Maori name for
Mount Victoria.

It was starting to spit as I came back through the Botanic Garden but I made it home before any serious rain fell.
Lastly, as a follow up to last week’s post, I have moved the plants that were smothering nikau number one. It looks better already.
3 comments:
Great atmospheric and descriptive shots Dyk
Its sad the way the old government building is hemmed in by the new high-rise ones...such a beautiful structure.
Ta Jeneane. It was a good outcome from a not prepossessing day.
Gill – it’s a lot better at ground level. The fore-shortening in that long range shot accentuates the effect and it was a very unusual view.
Post a Comment