The blog of the Jewell Whanau in Wellington, New Zealand.
Wednesday, 1 December 2010
Summer - we hope
Today is officially the first day of summer. One of the signs of a good (i.e. warm and dry) summer is the flowering of Ti Kouka (Cabbage trees).
This one is on the bank behind the next door section and we don't normally see this view. I love the way it is balanced with limbs on both sides. We had a good flowering a couple of years ago and this year looks well on the way to be another cracker. I have just learnt that the hanging bunches of flowers are called panicles, which is a particular type of inflorescence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Lady Mondegreen wants a Cordyline australis like yours!
That’s the tree next door, Jeneane. We normally see it side on so it’s not so striking. When you lived with us it was probably still smothered in old man’s beard. The neighbours cleared it and the tree has blossomed ever since. The two cabbage trees you gave me are growing but still young. They are about 2 metres tall and still in juvenile form so I’m not sure if they are c. australis or another variety or even a hybrid. Time will tell I suppose.
Its amazing, but the cabbage trees in Cornwall are also in flower! Even in the snow!!
I can't even remember giving you any cabbage trees, but I'm gratified that they are shooting up. I'm intrigued by Gillian's Cornish cabbage trees which sound like they are flowering by the calendar rather than the season!
The Cornish ones probably have the old flower stalks - not sure what the technical term is, but they often appear to be in flower for over a year.
Post a Comment