Perhaps the
apostrophe police (I’m looking at you, Jenny) can comment on whether there should be a possessive marked – and if so where.
Anyway Noreen and I spent three days over in
Queensland. The occasion was the 30th birthday of the firm I work for –
Intech Software (probably the worst web site in the world). All the company plus partners (28 people) were flown to
Brisbane from where it is an hour’s drive to
Surfers. The staff had to participate in two half day conference sessions – the usual team building, analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats plus training. We decided the web site needed updating!
We had two half days free. The first was spent cruising around the waterways (a mixture of dredged rivers and man made canals linking them).


Quite a fierce storm blew up but soon passed by with no untoward effects.

Surfers is a prime example of rampant capitalism ruining a wonderful natural attraction. The beach is long and sandy.

The surf was not too good when we were there.

High rises crowd down to the beachfront shading the beach in the late afternoon.
Reputedly the largest residential building in the world (
Q1 – 76 storeys) dominates the skyline.

Our hotel (22 storeys – we were on the 19th) was on the banks of the
Nerang River
which must be the zoning boundary of the high rise section because there were few on the far bank.
1 comment:
Well, technically I suppose it should be Surfers' Paradise, as more than one surfer considers it so, unless it was named after Mr Surfer, in which case Surfer's Paradise would be correct. However, it's a proper name and can therefore get away with an ambiguity-casuing lack of apostrophisation... for now. Argh exam tomorrow morning and I'm *still* procrastinating!
P.S, stoked to see QI cited. Everyone down here is now well and truly infatuated - for those of you out of the loop, youtube "Mein handy" to see why...
P.P.S, mama, I looove the blue top with dark trim - tres chic! :)
Post a Comment